Sunday 17 April 2011

The weekend before Easter

Easter is a big deal here, it being a Catholic country and all. Painted eggs are everywhere, but these are the most beautiful (and also simple) I have seen. I bought one.


People today are carrying around olive branches, which symbolize peace. They are blessed in the church and when the people take the olive branch home it brings peace to the house.


In front of the cathedral are these large eggs, painted by the "Naive" school of artists.


There was also a group of singers, dressed in traditional costumes. In the baskets the women have cakes and cookies which they distribute to the crowd.


And then there was a bit of street theatre. Something about dressing up in 18th century guards' uniforms. And praying at the stone gate, before the miraculous virgin mary who survived a massive fire.





At my favourite cafe beside the stone gate, I am served by two young men who have become sort-of friends. They let me use their wifi, and they make me these lovely coffees. Today the milky image is of an Indian chief--and they did not even know that I am Canadian.

No comments:

Post a Comment