Wednesday 23 March 2011

Do I have a social life?


Well yes I do. Coffee and lunch are when I go out with other people, mostly with two of my (younger) colleagues in the department. I also go to the movies, get my hair done, shop for clothes and groceries, hang out in cafes (especially those with free wifi). I chat with the nice man who sells sandwiches and little pastries in a booth near my flat. His English is not that good, but he’s a character, always cheerful, always trying to get me to try something new (Croats do not really understand, it seems, why I don’t eat sweet things). The young guy at the internet café likes to practice his English with me. 

There is much that is different here, but also much that is the same. One evening I went with friends--and V and T have become friends--to see “The King’s Speech” at the CineStar in the Avenue Mall. 

It was much like going to any Cineplex/Galaxy cinema. No, it was exactly like it. Even the popcorn and drinks were outrageously overpriced as they are at home. Globalized mall culture is just as vapid here as there. But when I need a dash of the familiar, it’s nice to go to the movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment