Thursday 31 March 2011

Midterm, Mid-way

Dobro jutro / good morning,

This morning my students are writing a midterm examination. How quickly the middle of the course has come upon us. I have not yet seen any of their writing, so I will find out shortly how much they have absorbed from the lectures and readings. It’s an intensive course, and they have to work quickly and efficiently, but so far I have been impressed by their intelligent comments in class, their astute perceptions, their enthusiasm about the material. Oh, they can be shy and a bit quiet (as our Canadian students can also be, of course) but when they do speak they are delightful. And we share the odd laugh.

Note to Zagreb students who might be reading this. I’m not exaggerating! As far as I can tell, you are doing very well. Okay, let’s see how the exam works out. Keep writing.

The midterm exam also marks six weeks that I have been here. In that time I have come to know my way around the centre of the city. I commute to work from Novi Zagreb by bus with all of the locals and I don’t think I stick out. Much. I have increased my vocabulary of Croatian words to about twenty (I can now count to ten!). I have become rather fond of my little apartment, and when I return from travels to other universities I have a sense of coming “home” to Zagreb—yes, I know how silly that is, really, but one has to pretend. I know all the places downtown where there is free wifi, and I’ve fallen in love with skype. Of course I am missing my own home, my family and friends, Shirley and especially Arlequino. But I am not homesick. It’s good here. An excellent way to spend a sabbatical. 

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post, Lady! I feel your full affection for your students, as well as your increasing comfort in your home away from home. Six weeks is a nice long time to settle in ... and six weeks still left to go. You sound relaxed and content, but curious too, a wonderful combination. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete