Wednesday 16 March 2011

Two countries beginning with the letter "C"

Things that are better in Croatia

The buses. I can’t get over the buses. Yes, I realized I have mentioned them before. And the trams. They go everywhere; they go frequently; they are really inexpensive and you can transfer in any direction on any vehicle as much as you like for 90 minutes on the same fare. Buses are articulated and they have anywhere from 3-4 doors, which you can step into or out of as you like. That means no crowding at the front, no need for the driver to ask (with exasperation in voice) people to move RIGHT TO THE BACK FO THE BUS!, no misanthropic thoughts going through Linda’s mind about how idiotic people are. Here bus riders just find a spot to sit or stand and they make room for others.

The bakeries. They too are everywhere and they sell lots of different kinds and sizes of loaves and rolls, baguettes and croissants, sweet pastries and savoury. You can buy a slice of pizza or burek, which is filo pastry stuffed with spicy meat, fresh cheese, potato or spinach and that comes in various shapes and sizes (indeed, might be called different things depending on the shape and size). All warm and crispy. Bakeries sometimes also have prepared sandwiches (actually rolls and sometimes wraps), hot and cold drinks and yogurt. You can buy a lunch for about $2 at a bakery. You eat it while walking, as everyone does.

The sheets and towels. One hundred percent cotton, colourful, and inexpensive. Closest we get is linens from Ikea. Where does The Bay get off charging $60 for a sheet? I ask you.

Flowers! Croats buy and give each other flowers. Gorgeous bouquets or potted plants. There is a “flower square” in the centre of town, as well as a flower market. Plus small flower shops in any neighbourhood. Bouquets are artfully arranged and neatly tied. For $10 you can get something really beautiful. I have flowers in my apartment always.

Things that are better in Canada

It does not take 30 minutes of lining up at the post office to buy a stamp for a postcard. Of course, I could have bought a stamp from a kiosk, but I’m not always confident people who sell things in kiosks know how much postage to Canada is. That was true in Austria as well. And snail mail takes FOR EVER. I don’t know if the problem is at this end or ours, but snail mail takes more than two weeks. And that’s by airmail, not steamship.

Bureaucracy. Here at the university things move slowly (although our lovely department secretary is fabulous). I’m not doing much of the running around; my colleague V. is doing it for me. But it’s amazing how difficult it seems to be to get  the right pieces of paper signed and delivered. We had to get me registered with the police. That took two visits before we had the right documents and the right dates stamped on my passport. (V. assures me that only two visits is not at all bad).

Okay, I have to say it: diversity. So far I have seen exactly one black person in Zagreb. One. I have seen a few Asians, young people, probably students.

Recycling. There is some here, but I'm shocked at how much garbage I accumulate in a week without the composting and solid materials recycling we can do in Canada.

More selection of wines from all over the world. Don’t get me wrong: Croatian wine is good. But I’m longing for a big fat juicy minerally Italian Nero d’Avola. Maybe someone will bring me a bottle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment