Monday 14 March 2011

Graz, a photo essay

After the talk I had a whole day to explore before catching the evening train back to Zagreb. Tourist photos, again without me in them :(

First order of business: coffee.


Hauptplatz. Graz is a nice, walkable city. And the weather was great.




Street performers were everywhere. They are mostly Roma. There were also a lot of people begging on the streets, also Roma, I was told. I gave out lots of coins.


This is the food of my childhood visits to Germany. Two frankfurters with a brotchen and lots of senf. Eaten standing up at an imbiss. Cheapest lunch possible and quite delicious, actually.


There's a castle and clock tower up a big hill. I took the lift up and walked down. Stopping along the way for a cold drink at a cafe on the summit. Such a lovely day.

That last shot was taken from a "skywalk" cafe on the top floor of a department building. 
And these women (very well dressed in modern "tracht" clothing, which echoes traditional costume and signifies a commitment to nationalism) were deep in gossip beside me.


And then, of course, there was shopping.


Spring!

Arlequino told me that there is a big museum of armour in Graz, and, indeed, there is!. There's also a plaque on the wall of the old city affirming that the Nazis were bad.

2 comments:

  1. Oh--these are great pics, and the accompanying narrative provides a good sense of the experience--thank you--Did you purchase some "tracht" clothing??

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are great, Linda. I envy your expedition. Len would like to take a portion of his next sabbatical in the Balkans, so, who knows, I may follow in your footsteps.

    ReplyDelete